If you could introduce design elements to a hypothetical v2 of the game, what would you include?
A few thoughts from me:
1) Decrease model size approx 10-15% ( particularly large bases) so sizing looks better next to SSD.
2) Drop points cost & power of all ships pro-rata so you can build more of a fleet (eg: a viable 3 ISD fleet plus fighters & a support ship or 2).
3) Move fleet building to app-based so points can be edited easier to keep things competitive.
4) Keep things thematic (Vader squadron should not be an escort for example)
5) Revise squad movement, say to 1-6 & limit upgrades that increase speed. B & Y wings should be slow. Defenders & A-wings should have a clearer speed advantage over regular ties etc.
6) Introduce an XL base size to fit between large & huge. This would be good for future ships, eg: FO Resurgent class - bigger than an ISD but clearly not a huge base ship.
Thats about all I can think of for now. Interested to hear others thoughts.
As long as it would solve the „can‘t shoot at you, because I chase you“ issue, I would agree.
I think, the game is quite good as it is. There is one problem I have for quite a long time. The mechanic of shooting first and moving later makes it nearly impossible to chase an enemy ship. This is quite unsatisfying because the position in the rear arc of an enemy should be more or less the best you could achieve. I already made a proposition in the old forums named „A little Demolisher for everybody“. My suggestion would be: „You may perform your second attack after your first movement, if that attack aims for the rear arc of an enemy ship.“
I don’t know if it so much of a v2 request but I would like to see more variation between ship versions of the same ship type. Like for example a VSD1 as it is but a VSD2 having a speed 3 chart. Or completely different defence tokens between the two ship types you get with each ship.
Maybe a rule around squadrons where you can only take the amount of squadrons that your combined squadron value on your ships is.
I agree with all of these, although i would never ever want to have to rebuy all the models again. Should have been smaller from the beginning tho, totally agree on that.
Here are my additional suggestions:
7) Introduce a core game mechanic that lets you launch figthers without having to take a specific upgrade or title.
8) Get rid of the asymmetrical First Player/Second Player mechanic and rebalance the objectives to become optional "scenarios" that have nothing to do with gameplay balancing. Use the alternating initiative mechanic as the core activation mechanic and maybe make the scenarios mandatory for tournament play just to spice things up.
9) Make the squadron phase more viable or completely redesign what squadron commands do. I dont really like the notion that starfighters are complete trash without you having to spam squadron commands.
10) Make all the upgrades viable through extensive recosting or complete overhauls and remove "nobrainer" gamemechanics like Demolisher from the game. I really dont like when cost-effectiveness dictates what i can play. It leads to poor tactical freedom.